News from around the web: 2009-11-03
I will be on Canada’s BNN TV at noonish talking about finance: Banks and Buffett. It will be a casual discussion with the moderators Howard Green and Andrea Mandel-Campbell and one other guest, Brian Milner of the Globe & Mail.
Below are today’s links. Enjoy.
- Hillary’s Ill Will Tour – Patrick J. Buchanan’s website
This is not the image we want to project. The author suggests Clinton is "John Bolton in a dress?" Interesting.
- FT Alphaville – China is ‘the most obvious area of concern’, Fitch says
via a Reuters chat room
- Executive pensions rose in ’08 even as stocks fell: report | Reuters
Pensions rose 19 percent for top execs. Nice one. While ordinary Americans 401(K) got decimated, you get this.
- FT.com – Gold nears record high on India purchase
200 tonnes from the IMF.
- RBS and Lloyds break-up: the main points – Telegraph
Must-read to get overview of what is planned
- UBS’s Third Quarter Results Disappoint – MarketBeat – WSJ
"the flagship private banking arm is what really missed forecasts"
- RBS Surpasses Citigroup as World’s Costliest Banking Bailout – Bloomberg.com
- Animal House Rules: Treasury Proposes to Use DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION – Bill Black
Hilarious but sad
- Inside the Motorola Droid, an iPhone likeness | Nanotech – CNET News
Another positive review of the Droid.
- FT.com – Ackermann hits at split-up of banks
He calls effort “totally misguided”
- Global protocol could limit Sub-Saharan land grab
"limit aggressive moves by China, South Korea and Gulf states"
- Obama’s latest use of "secrecy" to shield presidential lawbreaking – Glen Greenwald
More of the same
- Economist’s View: "Half of US Children — and Most Black Children — Will Use Food Stamps"
The title says it all
- RBS to cut 3,700 branch jobs
"EU-imposed restructuring to be outlined tomorrow"
Distraction of the Day: Forklift operator causes $100,000 in booze to come crashing down. He’s OK though.