News from around the web: 2009-10-15
- FT.com – John Gapper – A credibility problem for Goldman
pre-earnings thoughts on Goldman
- AT&T Continues Its Attack Against Google Voice With A Second Letter To The FCC
More on the Google threat
- World Cup, Group Six: England 3-0 Belarus
Crouch should have a bigger role for England.
- Calvin Trillin’s Theory – James Kwak
Statistical evidence supporting the smart guys blew us up theory.
- Thomson Reuters to buy Breakingviews
Are these guys going to have to play nice now?
- The US Dollar – Don’t just do something, stand there! – Marshall Auerback
I don’t agree 100% but this is a good overview.
- Finland becomes the first country in the world to make broadband a legal right.
We’re talking 100mb per second.
- CyanogenMod Wiki is a How-To for Android Modding – Lifehacker
Google has asked them to stop.
- Fugitive caught after making two Facebook blunders
Can you give a Darwin award to the living?
- Apple Moves To Block Jailbreaking In New iPhones
so it can tie you down to what they want.
- Square Feet – A Building Boom in Toronto’s Finance District – NYTimes.com
This is a bubble.
- Hong Kong Apartment Sells for $56.5 Million – NYTimes.com
This comes hours after the city’s leader mentioned a housing bubble.
- Martin Wolf – The rumours of the dollar’s death are much exaggerated
Insight into the dollar dilemma
- Elinor Ostrom and the Poverty of Economics – New Deal 2.0
Comments on the Nobel show rampant sexism in economics.
- Steven Pearlstein – Don’t Reinflate the Old Bubbles – washingtonpost.com
Must read piece of skeptical journalism
- Wall Street On Track To Award Record Pay – WSJ.com
This will lead to a backlash.
- Ireland’s slow motion fiscal crisis | afoe
A rich man’s Latvia? The next Iceland? How is the US different?
- Employed Taking Deeper Pay Cuts (Except on Wall Street, of Course) – Yves Smith
Nice anecdote on keeping up appearances.
- Economist’s View: "Reviewing the Recession: Was Monetary Policy to Blame?"
Thoma argues that regulation and asset price targeting are needed
- Smile! It Could Make You Happier: Scientific American
Do we smile because we are happy or the other way around?
- Psychopaths are distracted, not cold-blooded – New Scientist
"It challenges the belief that they are robots."
- Halloween Indicator: Is the time to buy now? Mark Hulbert – MarketWatch
This indicator says no.
- JP Morgan smashes expectations with $3.6bn profit
None of the profits are from traditional banking
- More on The Guardian: The Twitter Effect : CJR
Internet not just democratizing in Iran or China.
- Bleak U.S. job market boosts military recruitment
This is likely true for military over college as well.
- Recent ‘Momentum’ Influences Choices Of Baby Names, Professors Find
Like trading, momentum counts.
- Dilbert comic strip for 10/14/2009: The CEO and the Senator
- Wall Street Smarts – NYTimes.com
Amusing. When bankers became geniuses, it was time to get out. Hat tip Scott.
Distraction of the Day: Should obese workers pay more for insurance?