- Markets Cheer Stress Test Double Speak – Yves Smith
I think the title speaks for itself.
- Auctions for Troubled Property Loans Jump to the Web – NY Times
Perhaps this additional channel for the loans will help clear the underlying housing inventory. Interesting development in any event. Not for the faint of heart.
- Funds try to spot the great oil rebound – Ambrose Pritchard-Evans
Hat tip Gregor Macdonald. “Oil is too cheap. At around $50 a barrel, it is trading far below the production costs of almost all new sources of crude and energy substitutes. “
- The Restructuring of Global Oil Demand – Gregor Macdonald
Gregor has very good oil industry analyses. This one is interesting too.
- David Wessel Details Scenarios for the Economy’s Path Post-Recession – WSJ.com
This says a V-shape’s odds are 15%. I’d call it a U.
- Help FT Alphaville win a webby
They do excellent work and deserve the recognition.
- Carney blames U.S. for slow recovery
Bank of Canada head is basically blaming Obama’s people for exacerbating recession
- Shiller’s Housing Chart Is “Bogus,” Says Competitor
Why? Because professor Robert Shiller had to use multiple data sources when compiling it.
- Just One of the Guys – EconomPic Data
The NFL draft is coming and Matt Stafford has already signed as the No. 1 pick. He is making $72 million over six years with the terrible Detroit Lions. This is crazy.
- FT.com – Global Insight: When boring becomes a virtue – Gillian Tett
The most notable feature of the past month lies not in terms of what has occurred but rather in what has not occurred.
- Brad Setser: Follow the Money – “Not quite so SAFE”: This week’s Economics Focus column
A gradual move away from utual dependency is in the est interests of all.
- Soaring U.S. Budget Deficit Will Mean Billions in Bond Sales – Bloomberg.com
Despite quantitative easing, this means a lot of treasuries for investors to deal with. The Fed will have to take this onitself, basically taking on a quasi-fiscal role. Hat tip Scott.
- Review of the Research in Motion Blackberry Bold Smart Phone – PC World
I’m thinking about getting this phone. Anyone have comments on how good it is? “The BlackBerry Bold sports a revamped design and interface, but it falls short in other areas.”
- PC Pro: Product Reviews: Avira Premium Security Suite 9
“Avira Premium Security Suite 9.0 only builds on its predecessor’s many strengths – while the price remains just as appealing. In all, it’s a convincing defence of Avira’s A-List crown”
- Never Download a PPT or TIFF Again With Gmail’s Updated Viewer – Mashable
- México supera a España como mayor economía de un país de habla hispana
Mexico surpasses Spain as the largest Spanish-speaking economy as Spain enters depression.
- Bund will 90 Prozent: Hypo Real Estate: Showdown am 2. Juni – FAZ.NET
- „Entsetzt über den Linksrutsch der CDU“ – FAZ
- Fiat und Opel: Die zweite Mauer – SDZ
Blogs I now read
- IBEX Salad This is a good finance blog for those interested in the goings on in Spain. It is in English.